Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Did you know?

Naan bread makes an excellent pizza base for homemade pizzas. Thanks to Nigella Lawson, now I know. We made naan bread pizzas for dinner over the weekend and they were delicious (especially the ones made with garlic & coriander naan).

Carlos just bought Nigella's new book (Nigella Express) for me, and we've been working our way through a bunch of the recipes. I have to say that so far all of them have turned out pretty well.

I've been on a bit of a recipe book kick lately. I've been taking out various popular recipe books from the library to see if I can find any new recipes that the girls will eat. I feel like I am in such a rut with them, always feeding them the same old stuff (especially in the veg department -- cucumbers and baby plum tomatoes are the only things that go down with no fuss). So far, I haven't really hit on any winners with the girls. However, I found out that I quite like turkey meatballs (out of the Dinner Lady cookbook) (but making them wasn't so much fun - I don't like the texture of ground turkey). Anyone have any recipes out there that their kids love???

1 comment:

Maggie said...

I, too, suffer from the veggie problem. Basically the kids eat corn and cucumber. I have found a solution!!! There is a cookbook called "Deceptively Delicious"....it has super kid friendly recipes but every recipe has vegetable puree hidden in it! You cannot even taste the veggies or tell. The kids are totally fooled. I still SERVE veggies on their plate in hopes that someday they will eat it, but at least I know there is veggie nutrition in what they are eating. Some examples - turkey meatballs made with sweet potato puree in it, mac and cheese with butternut squash puree in it and so much more. The bonus for me is it is low fat cooking, too. Just have to take an hour once a week to make purees and store them in the fridge. I HIGHLY recommend. It is on amazon....let me know if you want me to send you some recipes in the meantime and I will be happy to!!!! They even have sweetie desserts made with veggies and you cannot even tell!