Thursday, February 23, 2006

From Glowing to Overflowing

The final days of pregnancy have arrived at last! Ugh. I’ve started to resemble a bipedal whale.

I’ve discovered that a shift occurs in people’s attitudes toward pregnant women at some point during the last few weeks before the baby is born. Gone are the comments about how you have that pregnancy glow about you. In the last week or two, suddenly perfect strangers see fit to comment on your girth. “Wow, you look like you’re ready to pop!” “Oh boy, I hope you don’t go into labor here!” I just don’t understand these comments. I think you can tell from the look on my face when I’m waddling around town that I am fully aware my current physical state and wouldn’t care to be reminded of it by random passers-by.

I spent all of yesterday going through Anna’s old baby clothes, sorting things out for the Garbanza. It was a bit of a trip down memory lane. Newborn sized clothes are so unbelievably small!

Anna is continuing to surprise me with certain sentences that seem to come out of nowhere. Yesterday, she walked up to me and said, “Hey, what’s going on?” She said it as if it was the most normal thing the world. I don’t know where she learned it, but it cracked me up. She also continues to refer to herself in the third person. This becomes most evident when she’s claiming ownership over things – “That’s Anna’s!” is a phrase we hear quite often these days.

No comments: